The Australian Government warmly welcomes international students to study and live in Australia and to have a positive experience while accessing a world class education.
We know finding suitable accommodation can be a challenge for international students at this time of year. Austrade publishes a range of tools and resources on the Study Australia website on accommodation options within Australia including:
- Tips on creating a strong rental housing application.
- Tips to find the right home and house mates for you.
- Know your rights as a tenant in Australia.
Costs of accommodation will vary depending on your chosen state, city, and type of accommodation. The cost of living calculator on the Study Australia website helps students calculate their expenses.
Getting a job and your work rights
Education providers have responsibilities to international students to support their health, wellbeing and adjustment to living in Australia including providing information about their work rights and how to seek support for workplace issues.
International students, have the same workplace rights as all other workers in Australia.
- You must be paid at least the minimum wage.
- You must pay tax on your income.
- You must receive a payslip.
- Casual work means you don’t have a fixed number of hours every week.
The Australian Government Department of Education has a range of videos and resources for international students about workplace rights which have been translated into different languages.
There is a temporary relaxation of student visa work limits until 30 June 2023. Further information about this can be found on the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website.
International students can contact the Fair Work Ombudsman or phone 13 13 94 for help if they’re having workplace issues, without fear of their visa being cancelled.
Austrade’s Employability Hub provides international students with resources to enhance their employability and job readiness and information on their work rights.
- including New Career Matcher Quiz https://www.studyaustralia.gov.au/careermatcher/
- and employability resources https://www.studyaustralia.gov.au/english/work/employability-resources/australia-wide-employability-resources