University of Divinity students are invited to participate in this series of workshops.
ISANA: International Education Association has received funding from Study Melbourne to undertake the Consumer Protection and National Code Project aimed to increase international students’awareness of the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) legislative framework, specifically relating to the National Code 2018. ESOS provides consumer protection for international students on a student visa, aims to enhance the quality of the student experience and protects the student visa program. If ESOS is to be successful in providing consumer protection, the consumers (international students) need to understand the legislation and where to go if their provider (institution) has not met their ESOS obligations, or if these obligations are not clearly articulated.
We need students who are interested to know more about consumer protection and the National Code. Through a series of workshops, we will work through each standard to gain a better understanding of what students should expect from their institution. We will also explore the connection with an institution’s obligation under the National Code and international student visa conditions. Participants will form project teams to consider how the information they have acquired during the workshops can be communicated effectively to all international students in Victoria. Project teams will consider how this can be achieved and present their ideas to a group of interested stakeholders. Together we will decide which ideas will progress to the development stage.
How to get involved
- Register your interest by emailing ESOS4Students@gmail.com with your name, institution and country of citizenship.
- Attend the Introductory session Friday 14 February at Study Melbourne
- Submit an Expression of Interest at the introductory session.
- Participate in all 3 Workshops.
- Work with your group to develop and present the group’s ideas.
Why should you participate?
- Receive a $250 voucher and certificate!
- Gain a better understanding of the rights international students have when studying in Australia through the various consumer protection mechanisms.
- Become more aware of the services and support institutions are required to offer to their international students. Interact with like-minded international students who want to make a difference and expand your network.
- Share your knowledge, skills and great ideas.
- Develop your teamwork and presentation skills.
- Be involved in a project that will improve the international student experience.