The Joan Adams Scholarship allows outstanding students to study for degrees of the University of Divinity. Successful applicants will show potential to provide leadership at Trinity College and in the wider church during their studies and in their subsequent careers.
Up to three scholarships are available at any one time for theological studies at undergraduate, postgraduate or doctoral levels for awards of the University of Divinity. The total value of individual scholarships will usually be between $15,000 and $35,000 per year, depending on whether residential fees are included.
Scholarships are normally awarded for up to three years, subject to satisfactory progress and an annual review. It is expected that students will apply to use FEE-HELP to repay fees through the tax system, and that the scholarship will therefore not be used for the payment of course fees, but rather be used to support the recipient’s studies. (FEE-HELP is only available to Australian citizens.)
Applicants should be:
- an active member of the Anglican Church of Australia, or a church in communion with the Anglican Church
- enrolled in a formal course of study offered by the University of Divinity through Trinity College Theological School
- undertaking a course, preferably as a full-time student
- a resident in Melbourne during the term of the scholarship.
- Applicants should have a proven track record of solid academic achievement or evidence of their capacity to excel academically.
- Priority is given to those proposing active ministry, lay or ordained, within the Anglican Church.
Value and duration
- Total value of $15,000 to $35,000
- Up to three years
- The scholarship is subject to annual review, and poor results or a failure to live up to the agreed expectations may result in early termination of the scholarship.
- Applicants are expected to provide leadership within Trinity College, including the academic and worshipping life of the Theological School, and in the life of the church.
Applicants should first familiarise themselves with the Trinity College Theological School and its programs.
Download and complete the Theological School Scholarship Application.
Prepare the following supporting documentation:
- A cover letter providing full name and contact details, an indication of the course of theological study you propose to undertake, and an indication of your plans regarding residence in Melbourne
- A personal statement of approximately two pages, addressing the criteria for award of the scholarship (as above)
- A curriculum vitae showing relevant study, experience and publications (if any)
- Copies of academic transcripts of previous study (new students only)
- Names and contact details of three referees.
Email your application (preferably in PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send your application to:
Trinity College Theological School
100 Royal Parade
Parkville Vic 3052
Applications close COB 15 November 2019.
Established in 1877, Trinity College Theological School is committed to shaping men and women who wish to pursue ordination in the Anglican Church, develop skills for lay ministry, or simply explore Christian faith for personal or vocational enrichment and development.